IN BUSINESS FOR ALMOST TWO CENTURIES
In 1833, brothers Charles and Elias Cooper built a foundry in their hometown of Mount Vernon, Ohio, and called it the Mt. Vernon Iron Works. Soon known as the C. & E. Cooper Company, the firm’s first products were plows, maple syrup kettles, hog troughs, sorghum grinders, and wagon boxes. Charles Cooper stood out as the lead figure in the company. Aggressively anti-slavery and a dedicated prohibitionist, he became a respected community leader even though many of his views differed greatly from those of his neighbors. When Elias Cooper died in 1848, Charles Cooper took on a succession of partners. With each new partner, the company name changed accordingly. Now, our goal is very simple, that is to respect our Cooper heritage and build a better company for employees and stakeholders while honoring our rich Cooper Heritage.